Greetings! Last night I got home too late to do a post. Sorry.
Tonight I want to do something a little different. I’ve been thinking about the Trinity, God being one God and three persons at the same time, and the evidence for it in Scripture. This list is by no means exhaustive, but points us in the right direction..
- The first hint comes in the first verse in the Bible: “In the beginning God…” The word in Hebrew for God here is “Elohim” which is a plural for three or more. Hebrew has a plural for just two, and then for three or more. And the Trinity is 3!
- Then in Genesis 1:26 God says, “Let us make mankind in our image.” At every other stage of creation He just says, “Let there be…” But here He speaks to someone about this creature he was about to create, another clue to the trinity.
In Genesis 18:1 it says, “ The LORD appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day.” And when the Lord appeared to him, in the next verse it says, “Abraham looked up and saw three men standing nearby.” God appears as three people to Abraham.
- It goes on to say, “When he saw them, he hurried from the entrance of his tent to meet them and bowed low to the ground. “If I have found favor in your eyes, my lord, do not pass your servant by.” Three people, and Abraham addresses them in the singular.
- Genesis 18:17, the continuation, it says, “Then the LORD said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do?” Here the name is LORD, that is Yahweh, the unmistakable name of God. And he now speaks as one, although there are three of them.
- In Isaiah 9:6 “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Here is the Trinity:
- Wonderful Counselor: the Holy Spirit
- Everlasting Father: God the Father
- Prince of Peace: Jesus the Son
- And then the combination: Mighty God meaning all of these are the mighty God.
- In John 15:18 “… they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making HIMSELF EQUAL WITH GOD.
- Then Jesus goes on and gives more than 10 ways in which he is equal to God, and does what only God can do. Here are just three more points of evidence in John 5:21-23
A .For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it.
- Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son,
- that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.
- Romans 9:5 “ Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of the Messiah, WHO IS GOD OVER ALL…” The Messiah IS God!
- Then in Revelation the same or similar titles are used for both Jesus and God: First and Last, Alpha and Omega, Beginning and the end.
The Trinity is, of course, beyond human comprehension, which to me proves He is God, for to truly be the Creator God, He would have to be beyond our understanding.
And Here are 3 reasons why the Trinity is important.
- Since God is love, if He were just one He would need someone to love, meaning He was not independent of His creation. But, being 3 in 1 He already has love, fellowship and communion within the Trinity, making Him independent from His creation.
- The Trinity demonstrates the importance of division of labor: the Father plans, the Son carries it out, the Spirit finishes up.
- And the Trinity is the ultimate demonstration of humility. The Son honors the Father, the Spirit directs worship to the Son, the Father loves His son with a limitless love. And we see the reflection of this is our beings, as God gives us different roles and abilities. It is built into creation as He has made us in our image.
For your edification!