Seven Secrets of Happiness, final
Today many people are unhappy, worried about Covid 19, the riots, the unrest, the uncertain future. Everything is out of our control!
However, in the midst of this we can actually find a place of rest if we use the seven secrets of happiness, for utilizing these secrets are within our control. To review, they are:
1) Cultivate an attitude of gratitude; count your many blessings, of which we have many, including being able to see, hear, walk and talk.
2) Compare down; look at those in a worse situation than your and be glad for what you have.
3) Learn to distinguish between wants and needs. Advertizing tries to turn our wants into needs. But all we actually need is food, air, water, shelter, and relationships.
4) Be responsible: do what you should and you will avoid the emotional drain of irresponsibility—for example, take a shower, eat, sleep and exercise well.
5) Speak the truth. You never have to try and remember what you said; you will never be caught in a web of lies.
6) Forgive others. Holding a grudge is harmful on every level. Forgiving frees you to leave the past behind and move into the future with happiness.
7)And then, the most important, most powerful and longest lasting secret of happiness: Get to know God better. The more we know him, the happier we will be.
And getting to know God better can take us beyond happiness, which is dependent on circumstances, into a deep and broad joy which is dependent upon the character of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Taking dedicated time to get to know God better has certainly been the most significant thing I’ve done in life, for it is transforming.
As it says in 2Co 3:18 “And we all, who with unveiled faces CONTEMPLATE the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. “
Read your Bible daily, talk with God each morning and through the day. Memorize Scripture so you can think like him. This will lead to transformation: Rom 12:2 says, “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. “
Be honest with Him about your failures and receive His forgiveness. Be a regular part of your church, committed to attending not just to get, but to give to others, to be God’s channel of love.
As you get to know Him, He will be at work transforming you with Truth! “Find rest my soul in God alone,
for my hope comes from Him.
He only is my rock, my salvation, my high tower
[as long as I remain in Him] I will never be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God,
my mighty Rock and my Refuge.” Psalm 62:5-6
Yes the greatest source of happiness and joy, is getting to know the Lord Jesus Christ better! Make it intentional, daily and deep.